9.04.2004

lesson in patience

a sharing at the oslist from alan stewart
On patience with one's gradual growth ... respecting the rhythm of the spirit

I remembered one morning when I discovered a cocoon in the bark of a tree,
just as the butterfly was making a hole in its case and preparing to come
out. I waited a while but it was too long appearing and I was impatient.

I bent over it a breathed on it to warm it. I warmed it as quickly as I
could and the miracle began to happen before my eyes, faster than life. The
case opened, the butterfly started slowly crawling out and I shall never
forget my horror when I saw how its wings were folded back and crumpled.
The wretched butterfly tried with its whole trembling body to unfold them.

Bending over it, I tried to help it with my breath. In vain. It needed to
be hatched out patiently and the unfolding of the wings should be a gradual
process in the sun. Now it was too late. My breath had forced the
butterfly to appear, all crumpled before its time. It struggled desperately
and, a few seconds later, died in the palm of my hand.

That little body is, I do believe, the greatest weight I have on my
conscience. For I realise that it is a mortal sin to violate the great laws
of nature. We should not hurry, we should not be impatient, but we should
confidently obey the eternal rhythm.

I sat on a rock to absorb this New Year's thought. Ah, if only that little
butterfly could always flutter before me to show me the way.

(Zorba the Greek)
wishing each of us patience in opening our cacoons, spreading our wings, and listening to the eternal rhythm. what flavor does your gradual growth have right now?

Comments:

Patience. Never had much. Yes, I could be focused, centered -- right there. . . but patient? Never! Shortly to experience my 70th year, maybe I should learn? Yesteday I was out on the Maine Coast. Passed through something called The Basin. 200-300 acres of tidal lake.The entry way is about 30' wide. When the tide comes in (or out) there is a wall of water about 4 foot tall -- spilling, frothing, churning. Going in (or out) on a boat can be an interesting experience. Engine screaming and you are going backwards. Patience! And when you look at the rocks on either side(very close@$!!!)Anyhow. The rocks are smooth -- gorgeous. A thousand years' of tidal passage. At the very least.

Patience.

Harrison


GravatarI picked up something that Ashley wrote on IN and then followed of here. I'm glad I did. Boy, do I want to hurry and get "there". JUst relaxing and appreciating where I am seems like a great idea. Thanks for the reminder.


Gravatarspilling
frothing
churning
screaming

and smooth and gorgeous on either side.

such a crisp image. thanks harrison

and christian, thank you for listening to the reminders... funny how they just float on the wind sometimes (or in the tide or on the internet!!).

glad to see you both here.

Labels:

posted by ashley

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?