8.11.2004

tool for remembering:

here's a little story i use as a tool to help me remember to remember!

I was hoola hooping with a 5-year-old one day. She picked up the hoola hoop and began playing with it, without asking me for assistance or guidance. We took turns watching one another and playing. She was catching on to the rhythm of hoola hooping pretty quickly. After about 30 minutes she turned to me and asked, "how do you make it stay?" I thought for a moment and responded, "you know how when you've got it, you know you've got it?" She nodded in understanding. "Well, when you start to feel like you don't have it any more, go back to feeling like you've got it." Certain that my words were complete babble, and uncertain of what she would get out of them, I went back to watching and she returned to hoola hooping. To both of our amazement, from then on, she had a new level of mastery for keeping the hoola hoop rotating her hips.

When we feel like we've fallen out of the flow, it is just a matter of returning
to what we know.
posted by ashley

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?