8.11.2004

reflections and feedback


do you know how much i thrive off of feedback? i love it! i love giving it and i love receiving it. the images that come to my mind are the lakes and ponds that i enjoyed in new york last weekend. at the metropolitan museum, the reflection of the windows created these playfull squiggly lines, with the blue of the sky and white puffy clouds glowing through. in central park it was the lines of the trees and blooming flowers, the reflections of the buildings, the juxtaposition of the natural and man-made world... in general, it's the reflection of life that moves me.

feedback is one way to reflect for one another that which we see in each other. i've written much about compliments (check out the february and march archives) as a means of reflecting. another source of feedback is the place of witness that is within each of us. sometimes we witness ourselves, notice our own processes, actions, reactions, emotions, etc. sometimes we invite others to play the role of 'witness' for us, valuing the place of being seen by another.

my lessons lately have been in witnessing my own insecurities, uncertainties, and yearnings. when i feel doubt and yearn for something that is not present, i give away my power and i lose touch with the genuine expression of life that is occuring around me. for instance, in the park, as i was becoming intoxicated with the beauty and bliss rising through me, i felt a desire to share this with another. in that desire, i slipped away from my own joy and gave more attention to my yearning. in witnessing this process (and sharing my observations with friends), i notice that these places of doubt, uncertainty, and yearning outline my current growing edge. when i feel such feelings, it's a little invitation for me to step into the classroom of becoming more fully me! somewhere in the moment i've slipped out of being present and my awkward, contracting feelings of doubt or desire are reflections of the places in which i am growing... these same feelings also serve as a ringing bell, inviting me to return to presence.

jeff sararas gave me some feedback about easily amazed... he said he'd like to see me sharing more from the core of my heart (how am i doing?). how about if i share a little bit from his heart (in a recent email)!

right now i do feel a little out of presence with that all-pervading love ... as i'm typing, i realize it has just snapped back-funny, it's so much about simply remembering.


currently i'm seeing feedback and reflection as a way of simply reminding and inviting ourselves and others into the joy of remembering...
posted by ashley

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?